Monday, September 14, 2009

Cooking in My Flat

I shopped for groceries and cooked my first meal in my apartment.  That’s a bigger deal than you think.  Here are the photos of my cabbage sausage soup. 

Folks have asked me about the cost of groceries.  I have not done a lot of shopping yet – but the items in the photos cost as follows in American dollars:  the ½ of a cabbage – about 50 

cents; the onion – about 15 cents; the sausage – little less than a dollar; the loaf of bread – about 75 cents; and the bottle of cabernet – a bit over $5.  So, yes, the bottle of wine was the most expensive thing about the meal – hey, I have my priorities.  But I did not drink the Font sizewhole bottle.

I did enjoy cooking on my little gas stove with the kitchen window opening into the courtyard.  While I was cooking, Gabriella (my landlady) brought me 3 tiny new kittens to look at through the window.   She does not speak English, but I think she gets that I like her animals.  I regularly feed the bunny rabbit – sometimes it is right outside my window, so I lean out and give it lettuce or cabbage. 


 

3 comments:

  1. What kind of sausage?

    Don't forget, if you feed the critters, you own them. The rabbit? Makes a good.... OH! You are a veggie, mostly, right?

    I like the look of the cabbage, but mostly the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you are already a good Hungarian cook!! Loved the lovers' fence too.

    ReplyDelete