Monday, September 21, 2009

Croatians in Pécs

At the same time that I am visiting all of the sights of Pécs Heritage Days, I have been having a wonderful time with a group of visiting Croatian teachers and high schools students.  The great folks at the People to People International, Agnes, Szilvia, Hans and Julia graciously invited me to attend.  On Friday, Agnes took me to the local Croatian school where I met the Croatian visitors and toured the school.  On Sunday we visited several nearby sites.  We toured the cave at Abaliget – bats and all – no photos were allowed inside.  The cave was seriously creepy in parts, and one of the kids said it looked like something from a movie.  I had to agree that you felt like you were going deep inside an island where the villain in a Bond movie would have his laboratory – up steep stairways. 

We went up the watchtower at Lake Orfu and toured the mill.  Then had lunch – goulash and pancakes at Racz Tanya.  And the restaurant gave us a shot of palinka before lunch – now that’s my kind of appetizer!!  Of course, only the teachers got the palinka, not the students.  But the drinking age here is 18 – so actually some of the students are old enough to drink. 

Here's a photo of the view from the watchtower, and  above a picture of me, Agnes, Marina, Julia, and Ana at the top, and some shots of the charming little outdoor room where we all had lunch together.  I got to practice some Croatian and learned some new words.  It was great.  Ana and Marina are the Croatians.




4 comments:

  1. What fun!! It looks like you are having the time of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep practicing your Croatian, that's a great opportunity since you will be going to Croatia later. Hey, bring some of that palinka home please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HOPE YOU HAD A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just discovered this blog while in Germany for some days. Great! Kind regards,
    Hans and Julia (Pécs/Hungary)

    ReplyDelete