Monday, September 21, 2009

Hungarian funnel Cakes Kolács

OK, I don’t know about you, but when I go to a carnival or similar event in the U.S. and see funnel cakes, I just about gag.  Hot, fried dough with sugar on it.  There is always a big line for funnel cakes, but I snub my nose at this confection which I deem unworthy.  I don’t know if these are the Hungarian equivalent, but I had to have one.  I’ve never seen anything quite like it.  The dough is wound around a metal spit and cooked over a charcoal grill!!  You’ll see below.  Then cinnamon, sugar, or ground walnuts – or all of the above – are sprinkled over the hot dough.  The metal spit is cooled just enough to allow the finished dough to slide off and it is packaged and given to you.   Just like having hot Lamar’s doughnuts, I guess.  So I took a video of the process, bought one, and ate the whole thing. 

3 comments:

  1. So do they serve it on a stick? How exactly do you eat this? It looks delicious how was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. just take it off the split, wrap it in a type of cellophane, and you ate it by pulling it apart. great hot or cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ALWAYS eat the funnel cakes at the South Florida Fair (while Mike eats every other kind of fair food .....corn dogs, meat on a stick, sausage & onions and anything else he can find). I would LOVE to try these!

    ReplyDelete