Friday, December 4, 2009

Back in Zagreb - Practicing my Croatian

OK - just arrived at the Hotel Central in Zagreb.  Wi Fi in my room - I feel spoiled.  Or is that the beer?  Pivo in Croatian.  You know they have big bottles of beer in Europe - I found that in Ireland, in Hungary and here in Croatia.  I ordered a Croatian beer - and, wow, it was velik (that means big).  Although my Croatian language skills remain pathetic, I have to say I have been very excited to speak Croatian and be understood in the last few days.  Thursday at the University (Pécs), I was walking out of the library and heard two men speaking - could that be???  Croatian?  So, being the shy type - I spoke to them (in Croatian)  I could not say much, but I did say that I was going to Zagreb Friday and had relatives there.  It was just so exciting - but cut short when these men had to run to catch their bus.  So - fast forward - today I am taking the long, dreaded train trip to Zagreb.  I have to layover at this little town in Hungary - Gyékényes - and I notice a young man who has been hanging around about as long as I have at this station.  You could make a movie here, and it would be one of those art films where nothing ever happens.  This tiny dimly lit cafe where a few station regulars hang out and smoke cigarettes and drink beer, and the same lady works there (sadly, I figured I have been in this place a dozen times now, really).  Anyway, so I asked the guy if he was going to Zagreb.  I always like to know that there is someone else going to the same place, and then I feel like I won't miss the train because I will see which one they get on.  So, he does not speak English - and tells me he is from Montenegro.  Humm - what do they speak there?  And he asks me, lo and behold, if i speak Croatian - he asks me this in Croatian.  Wow, what luck.  So I tell him - in Croatian that I can understand a little Croatian and speak a little.  This was great.  What a nice guy.  He carried my luggage onto the train and sat in the same compartment.  We had a conversation, and since he did not speak English, we had to rely upon my poor Croatian.  And as limited as it was - we could communicate.  He works in Pécs and was traveling home, and I was able to tell him that I also worked in Pécs.  I could ask him why the custom agents searched his bag and not mine.  I could not remember the word for baggage but I said Why yours, not mine - and pointed to our luggage.  So he knew what I was asking and told me it was because I was an American.  Interesting.  Since the customs lady asked me if I had anything to declare - liquor, cigarettes, etc. and seeing that they were searching his luggage, I fessed up that I had a bottle of alcohol which I was taking to Nick for a gift, as well as a box of Hungarian chocolates for his wife.  OK - this sweet guy even feeds me Hungarian cookies.  And I can say in Croatian that I will try them - and "something to eat."  My meager skills still allowed us to say enough that we could understand what was going on.  When we got to Zagreb, this sweet man carried my luggage off the train for me.  We then said good-bye.  With this confidence - I walked across the street and checked into the Hotel Central.  What a great location - stayed here before - a good place and the staff is always friendly.  Probably many of my American friends would freak out at the size of the room.  I did the first time I stayed here.  The single has room enough for a bed and a small space to walk between the bed on one side and the wall - a tiny corner with a small desk and TV and a compact bathroom.  Here is a picture.

So I walk in and tell the man at the front desk in Croatian I have a reservation and I switch between English and Croatian while speaking to him - when i know the Croatian words, I use them.  But the funniest thing was when I asked him if they had internet access in the rooms - he said there was wi fi in the rooms.   I said  - Awesome in English.   And I thought he did not understand me because he asked me - what was awesome - a computer.  And I explained I had my computer and was really happy that they had wi fi - and he said - very exasperated - Jesus Christ!!  And I knew what he meant - and laughed - here I had come to Zagreb and I was excited about, no not the city or the country - but having wi fi in my room.  What an idiot, he probably thought.  But actually we talked some more - and I told him in Croatian, well my husband is not here - so wi fi lets me talk to him.  Ok - so, I'm settled in my room, but decide to have a beer before I go to bed at the bar downstairs.  I wind up talking to the waitress - I'm the only one in the bar - and watching some Croatian talent show with her.   That's where I got the big beer. How do people drink those things?  Well, I did.  But wow, I'm sleepy now.  I was able to ask her in Croatian - how much do I owe you?  And I can understand my numbers.  She seemed pretty pleased with my few Croatian phrases.  So maybe I'll have more changes to practice.  Both of these people speak English quite well - but they were very willing to listen to me and respond to my Croatian.   

3 comments:

  1. Sorry I haven't written for a while. Sounds as if you are really going native. It's great you have picked up some of the language. You must be a fast learner. I'll be glad to see you when you get home. Terrible about the shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done well grasshopper.
    Glad to see you using your Croatian. You have good luck meeting others and the couple of Croatian guys in Pecs, that was great. Keep up the practice.

    ReplyDelete