Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Winter in Zagreb – Zima u Zagrebu

I was really surprised returning to Zagreb in December.  Because I have been here in fall and spring, I expected all the outdoor cafes would be closed – hey, it’s winter (zima) and it is fairly cold to be sitting outside.  I was shocked.  The main square Trg ban Jelicica was packed with people and the outside cafes were full.  Wow, that would not happen in my city.  At the very first sign of 60 degrees, no one is sitting outside, let alone in 40 degrees.  Fahrenheit of course.  I did see some outside heaters, but I noticed that many people were outside who were not under heaters.  For the holidays there are kiosks selling food, Christmas ornaments, gifts, souvenirs, jewelry, and of course hot wine.  So folks are outside shopping and visiting, as usual.  The city looks very festive and beautiful.  In the square is also a large tent for people to sit inside and have a drink or sausage, yet still see outside through the clear plastic sides.  At the outdoor stage I saw several performances of children’s dance groups, as well as a good band.  Everyone stood outside in the evening to watch these groups perform.  So here is a look at Zagreb in the wintertime.  I always love the energy of this city.

Special Note:  In the concert at the end of the video there is a guy playing a bass?? But it has no outside shell.  I tried to give you a close look at it.  Has anyone ever seen this instrument.  If so, what is it called?  

1 comment:

  1. Have no idea what that instrument is. Hey, the kids were dancing to Michael Jackson, interesting. And was Santa riding on the Tram?
    Looks like a fun atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete