Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My McDonald's Confession

I do not go to the McDonald's in the U.S.  Not only is the food bad, but I support local restaurants and coffee shops - not Mickey D's and Starbucks.  If we don't stop supporting these huge businesses, there won't be any small ones left.  So I have always avoided the McDonald's that is located on the main square in Pécs.   I had a little coffee shop that I was going to for wi fi or I would go to the square by the National Theatre where there is a hotspot.   For some reason I have not been able to connect at the little coffee shop for some time now - the signal is weak and it never turns on.  And it is getting too cold to sit outside in the square to use the town hotspot.  I have had mixed results going to restaurants nearby and getting on to the web. Soooo - I find myself sitting at the McDonald's which, I must admit, has a very good wi fi connection.  This McDonald's is different from those at home - maybe it is a European thing.  There is the typical counter where folks go get their burgers and fries, but in the back there is a McCafe where they serve expresso and cappuccino.  I sit in the back and get a cappuccino and use their wi fi.   I was at university today hoping to use its wi fi- but some cable is broken (probably all that construction in town) and no internet, in some buildings, no electricity.  So, darn it, I tried - and now I'm back at the McDonald's.  What a traiter - I hope no one sees me here.  But the place is packed - what is wrong with these people?  OH, yea.  I am now one of them.  But I don't see any computers - so what is their excuse.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes fate just has to zap you.
    Ask me about Target sometime.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next thing you know you will be going to Wallmart.
    I know that won't happen. Keep searching for Wifi spots. In the meantime, don't quilt out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. McDonald's does have great internet connection, but they are usually so packed you can just go in and use your computer without buying anything. I've done that many times. Then you are taking up a space in McD AND stealing their wireless. you're basically robin hood...

    ReplyDelete