Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Public Thermal Baths in Budapest

To Americans the idea of a public bath is uncommon - I don't think we have anything like these and I was a bit skeptical of going, even though I went to the baths with Agi.  Then when I realized that I forgot to bring my bathing suit to Budapest, I really thought - forget it.  Bette told us you can rent one at the baths.  Does that sound sanitary to you? Mandi bought a suit while we were out sightseeing, but I figured I'd get the full experience and rent a suit. The lady threw 3 suits out on the table and I picked the pink one (they are all basic one piece tanks) and held it up and she nodded that it would fit.  Well, it was not bad.  OK - if you think I am going to post a photo of me in the baths - FORGET IT.  But here is a look at two of the outdoor baths I went to with Mandi and Greg.  

The first shot in the video is from the famous Szechenyi Baths - that big pool with the steam coming off is part of the largest bathing complex in Europe.  The heat comes from a thermal spring that was discovered in 1879 - it is the deepest/hottest one in Budapest -  at 75 degress C (not Farheinheit).  It was pretty cold while we were in Budapest - I had three layers - a turtle neck sweater, my lambs wool sweater with hood I bought in Ireland, and a coat on.  So I could not believe that we were walking outside - barefoot in a swimsuit to get in this pool.  But it was great - and all these people are just lounging in this hot pool outside in the cold.  There are jets in the pool that massage you and also some overhead sprays.  I saw the men playing chess in the pool - that is a tradition that i had seen in photos many times.

Now here is the funny part - see that huge building in back of the pool.  Well the baths are a big complex and when I told Bette two days later that we went there - she laughed when I told her we were only in the outdoor pool.  Apparently this complex has MANY other pools, saunas, etc inside - but we did not know it.  So when I return, I'll have to check it out.  I know Mike would love this place.  He wanted to go when we were in Hungary before - sorry, honey,  you were right.

Well, we liked the thermal baths so well, we were going to go to the Lukács baths the next day where the guidebook said there were mud baths.  Sounds interesting. But when we got there - no mud baths.  So we decided to get massages.  There was only one person giving massages, so while Greg went first Mandi and I got in the outdoor pool which is the second one on the video. It's was not as hot as Szechenyi.  So we wandered around this maze of a building and found 2 other outdoor pools - both cold - YIKES - and 3 hot pools that were much smaller.  Still it is so cold when you get out that i don't think it is worth walking around.  The massage was terrific - lots of sore muscles from carrying my backpack and walking up the Bascilica stairs.  And I rented a suit here as well - getting to be an old pro at this.

4 comments:

  1. Those look amazing. How is the weather there at the moment? I don't know if I could handle a hot public bath when it's warm out but in the cooler months it's be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wouldn't have had the bathing suit problem in Korea or Japan. They have public baths indoors and no bathing suits are worn. They separate out men's and women's pools. New Zealand also has these but you do wear a bathing suit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I will have to try these in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't care with or without the suit, I would like to go to the baths. OK, why didn't we go to the baths again, when I was there with you.

    ReplyDelete