Saturday, October 31, 2009

Where are the Laundromats? $50 load of clothes

I find this strange – but there are no Laundromats in Pécs.  You know, a place where people who don’t own washing machines can do their laundry.  I looked everywhere and when I asked friends here, they all said the same thing – everyone has a washing machine or access to one (apartment buildings).  For a country that seems to have a much poorer lifestyle, fewer conveniences and luxuries, I was surprised.  I found a couple places in town that do laundry (mosoda).  I took a medium size load of close to the Arkad mosoda – 2 pairs of jeans, some tshirts, a towel – and asked how much it would cost to get them washed.  It was $50!!!!  I could not believe it.   Who could possibly afford this? Apparently, these mosoda are used to wash special clothes (an expensive dress; wedding dress) and usually have a dry cleaner at the same place. 

So I have been doing my laundry in my sink since I got here.  I hooked up a small clothes line from one of those bands you wrap around your luggage – or use to tie something on your car.  Jeans take a long time to dry – I have to hang them in the shower first so they don’t make a mess dripping all over the floor. 

4 comments:

  1. No washing machine where you stay? How do they wash their clothes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't the university have washing machines for the students that you could use?
    I think you could buy clothes cheaper than taken them to the laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know who probably has washing machines? hostels. thats got to be your best bet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the sink has been working just fine. I admit I will appreciate my washing machine a lot more when I return to K.C.

    ReplyDelete