Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ballet and American Corners in Pécs


My good luck continues. The weather here is in the 60s – delightfully and unseasonable warm. Sunday night I attended the ballet with my friend, Ági. I had wanted to see the inside of the beautiful theatre building - the National Theatre of Pécs. The performance of Giselle was a modern interpretation that I found very interesting – like Giselle meets West Side Story. Giselle’s jilted boyfriend could easily be a Jet! I forgot my camera, so unfortunately can’t show you video of this charming evening. Here is the outside of the theatre, which is quite beautiful inside as well.

Last night I moderated a film screening for the American Corners in Pécs. The film was Doubt. Very enjoyable evening where I met more great people, particularly a young Hungarian student eager to practice his English. American Corners is a program that exists all over the world to acquaint people in other countries with American culture. The program here in Pécs and the staff are very impressive for their welcoming demeanor and professional programs – including a book and DVD lending library. I was pleased to be invited to participate in their programs. I forgot to ask Zsuzsa, the director, if she was going to have a Thanksgiving dinner – it is coming up. I will very much miss my turkey dinner this year!! Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays – just because of all the food and the family gathering together. If I can not have the family gathering together, at least I might have the food. Pumpkin pie, stuffed turkey, cranberry sauce – oh, my.

1 comment:

  1. Well, we'll sprinkle a little paprika on our turkey for ya!

    ReplyDelete