Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Név Nap - Name Day

Some times I notice small differences in customs that might not be so important, but it strikes as me as interesting.  The wall calendar I bought here had names written on each day – which I did not understand until someone explained name day to me.  I think name day is a very charming idea.  Hungarians celebrate both a birthday (much like Americans) and a name day.  That is, every day of the year is attached to certain names – so all Hungarians named Lászlo have a name day on 27 Június (June) and all those named Lajos have a name day on 19 Augusztus.  Apparently, the birthday is a bigger celebration than the name day.  On your name day you receive greetings and good wishes from your friends and family, maybe a piece of chocolate.  It is an occasion to remember you.  I really like the idea.  Think about it – remembering the birth date of all your friends or colleagues might be difficult.  But, with name day, all you have to remember is your friend’s name – and you automatically have his/her name day.  I wondered if any name was left out, but apparently not all the names are written on these calendars, and indeed even new names are added, though I’m not quite sure how.  So everyone has a name day.  I like the idea – it is not a big fuss – as one student told me he got an SMS (text message) from his mom and relatives on his name day.  By the way, did you know that Hungarians do not have middle names – typically only a first and last name.  Which is written last name first – so Hamilton Dorothy would be my written name. 





 

           


I have taken this photo of the calendar for the month of Február.  On 6 of February I am celebrating my name day.  Dorottya is on the calendar as I hope you can see.  And my real name is Dorothy, so my Hungarian pronunciation would be Dorottya.  Notice to friends and relatives.  

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up. My name day is Feb. 13. I found my name day on different dates in a total of eight countries, WooHoo! Let the celebrating begin!!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great to read about all that you are doing and experiencing. Sounds like a great sabbatical. But we will be happy to have you back home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, Feb. 6
    I'll try to remember you name day. When's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, i need one too, since I usually get screwed over at birthday time--because it's only 2 days after Christmas. But...what happens if they get more than 365 names? And how about Leap Year? Does the Feb. 29 guy only get his name day every 4 years? These are truly philosophically deep questions requiring much analytical thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well - don't know about Leap year - but there is more than one name for each day - so you might have Istvan and Szilvia both on the same day - and the add as new names are added. so there are more than 365 names

    ReplyDelete