Sunday, November 15, 2009

I Get Lucky on My Tour

Pécs is under construction.  Sometimes it seems the whole town is torn up to renovate the buildings and streets in preparation for its designation as the 2010 Cultural Capital of Europe.  Opening ceremonies are in January.  My friend Zoltan told me that the city was giving tours of some of the biggest renovation sights, so I looked at the website and saw that one of the tours was half block from my apartment – the street of Museums, where, not surprisingly, a lot of museums are located.  I met the tour group at the corner where they gave us a nice cup of hot tea.  Amazingly, this young woman recognized me – I had pizza with her, probably 5 years ago, with one of my then students Anna Gereb.  She was Anna’s friend.  That is the only time we met, but she recognized me.  I was stunned at this coincidence.   So Edit was able to translate the architect guide’s comments to me.  How lucky I am!!  She now teaches English in Pécs and was with her brother Attila – you catch a glimpse of them on the video.  Now, warning, this video is not very pretty – we were not allowed inside the buildings they are reconstructing – so you can see the exteriors that are being renovated.  I post them here because I want to remember these when I return.  I think this whole area will be transformed.  It is very ugly now – because the streets are torn up – and the scaffolds are everywhere.  I have been in most of these museums before on previous visits, so I will be interested to see the changes, inside and out. 

 

1 comment: