Friday, November 13, 2009

Hungarian Train Troubles

First let me say – I generally like the Hungarian train system – MAV.  But lately, I’ve had some interesting experiences.  When I was in Budapest 5 weeks ago, there was a train strike.  No trains for one day.  Since I was getting ready to leave the city and my friends, Mandi and Greg, had left the day before, I thought – well, good thing I did not have to get back to work that day.  Then my friend from the US, Susan, and I bought tickets to go to Budapest last week.  The ticket agent at the train station said something about Dombovar in Hungarian, but we did not understand.  When she realized that we did not speak Hungarian, she just handed us our tickets and left it at that.  So we get to the Pécs train station to catch the train to Budapest the next morning, and there are no trains anywhere in sight.  I know something is wrong.  When we asked, they pointed to a row of buses.  Apparently, what the ticket lady told us was that the train station was repairing its tracks and we would have to take a bus to the nearest train station in Dombovar to catch the train!!  O.K. this adds half hour to the trip, no big deal.  And I realize I will have the same situation on my return two days later. 

So I go to catch my train back, and the train isn’t at the platform listed on the departures board.  I finally figure out where to catch my train, board, and figure I am all sent until Dombovar.   About ten minutes after the train departs the Keleti station, it stops.  And it stays stopped.  I have taken this trip before, so I know this is not normal.  Folks are restless.  Finally, a conductor comes through the car to explain.  Luckily, the lady sitting next to me speaks English and tells me our engine has broken down, and we are waiting for them to bring a new engine.  O.K.  Good thing I did not wait to catch a train to get me back just in time to teach my class.  I’m fine.  So, after what seemed a long time, we start moving.  But we only get to the outer Budapest train station – Budapest-Kelenfold – and stop again.  This is a normal stop, but it should be short and it isn’t.  The natives on the train are definitely restless – you don’t need to speak the language to understand.  Frustration sounds the same in every language - really, it does.  Finally, I am told that the second engine also has a problem.  In the end, we are one hour late to Dombovar.   I’m lucky – no connecting trains – just have to catch the bus which is waiting for us.  The young woman across from me has missed her train connection, and what’s more, she was also returning to Budapest that night – just delivering a project – and returning.  Now she will miss the train back as well.   Here is a look at the graffiti on the train tracks that I photographed while waiting for the engine repair – just a little bored I guess.  

3 comments:

  1. Dear Dotty,
    Here is Edit from Pécs, Anna Gereb's friend. We met today at the guided tour. I found this blog of yours here and I like it a lot!
    Have lots of wonders while you are here.
    My best,
    Edit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was great to see you again and thanks for the tour translations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least the train stayed on the track! A little delay is not too bad. I remember our train delay and then having to get off and take the bus the rest of the way.

    ReplyDelete