Tuesday, November 24, 2009

More Shopping

My dear friend Ági took me to the outskirts of the central city to see the shops of Metro and Tesco.  This is a big contrast to my city shopping experiences.  Metro is just like Costco!  At the entrance you have to insert your membership card to get in.  Then you are in a large, warehouse-like store where the products are stacked to the sky.  Ági had taken me shopping so that I could find some small gifts to take back to the States.  Then next stop was Tesco, which is just like Wal-Mart.  I wonder if it also has the same effect.  She was helpful in pointing out food items that were typically Hungarian.  I had seen one item in a restaurant that I wanted for my husband, and she found it for me.  It is a hot sauce – Erős Pista.  Translated it means Big Steve.  I found that so funny because Steve is my brother-in-law’s name that I also bought a jar for him.  I am a terrible shopper and dislike these big stores, not only for what they represent (multinational corporations) but just for the experience which generally leaves me leaving without purchasing anything because I am overwhelmed by the choices.   So I see that there are several completely different ways to shop in Pécs – much the same as in the States, though I do not think we have anything that is really equivalent to the markets here.   

No comments:

Post a Comment